Transaction Pro Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > QuickBooks Products > 01 Transaction Pro Deleter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCleaning up obsolete company data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esilva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning up obsolete company data
    Posted: 09 February 2008 at 12:00am
I'm sorry if my question has an obvious answer and I just don't get it.  But I purchased TPD so that I could reduce the number of list items.  The current problem I am experianceing is as follows (please bear with me as I do not know much about quickbooks and am the company's computer technician not an accountant) 

The company file had grown to behemoth proportion 1.6 GB.  I ran a "Cleanup Company Data" operation and removed everything from Sept. 2002 and previous.  I then created a portable version and restored the portable version to reduce the file size of the database.  This worked great and now the database is 641MB.  Everything was working fine until we decided to add another employee.  We can do everything or anything we like in quickbooks and close the database and re-open it withough problems until we add another employee, customer or vendor.  The list item gets added and there are no problems with the database until we logout and log back in.  At this point pretty much anything we do generates an unrecoverable database error with quickbooks.  My thoughts are that we have reached some sort of a limitation with how many list items we are allowed to have.  I have read on many forums that the limitation is about 14000 list items and I should have no more than 10000 items in any one category.    A recent update to quickbooks premier 2008 that happened this week has removed the ability to "Cleanup Company Data" and I can no longer run this operation.  So I was hoping that TPD will allow me to delete anything before 2004 or 2005 in quickbooks, but when I do a search based on the date I cannot find any employees who have had no transactions before these dates.  Is there a manual on how to use TPD?  I am at my wits end and I can't figure it out for the life of me. 
esilva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esilva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 12:12am
just a thought, maybe I'm overthinking the way this software works.  Would I be safe to assume that if I select all account and hit the delete List button it will only in fact delete list items with no transactions linked to them?  I guess I just need a little guidance on how to properly use thise tool.
esilva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esilva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 12:25am
ahh, classic pebkac, sorry for all the posting, but hopefully my mental run-around will help another confused individual.  I just ran a delete on all Vendor List items as a test with a copy of the data and my hypothesis is correct.  This will only delete those list items with no transactions linked to them.  Very nice tool, well worth the money.  Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic